This is a short list of books and periodicals we use at the nursery for reference / reading. Some are unfortunately out of print. Keep this in mind when browsing in the used book store.
Mostly Native's Recommended Reference Books
- Fremontia: A Journal of the California Native Plant Society. cnps.org
- Madroño: A West American Journal of Botany California Botanical Society
- Manzanita: Friends of the Regional Parks Botanic Garden. Regional Parks Botanical Garden
- Pacific Horticulture: The magazine for West Coast Gardeners. Pacific Horticultural Foundation
- The American Meadow Garden. John Greenlee. Timber Press, 2009
- California Native Plants for the Garden. Carol Bornstein, David Fross, and Bart O'Brien. Cachuma Press, 2005.
- Ceanothus. David Fross and Dieter Wilken. Timber Press, 2006.
- Complete Garden Guide to the Native Perennials of California. Glenn Keator. Chronicle Books, 1990.
(out of print)
- Complete Garden Guide to the Native Shrubs of California. Glenn Keator. Chronicle Books, 1994.
(out of print)
- Designing California Native Gardens. Glenn Keator and Alrie Middlebrook. University of California Press, 2007
- Gardening with a Wild Heart: Restoring California's Native Landscapes at Home. Judith Larner Lowry. University of California, 1999
- Growing California Native Plants. Marjorie G. Schmidt. University of California Press, 1980.
- Hardy Californians, A Womans Life with Native Plants. Lester Rowntree. University of California Press,
2006 (first published in 1938)
- The Jepson Manual, The Higher Plants of California. University of California Press, 1993
- The Landscape Ideas of Jays. Judith Larner Lowery. University of California Press, 2007
- Marin Flora. John Thomas Howell, Frank Almeda, Wilma Follette, and Catherine Best. California Academy of Sciences, 2007
- Native Treasures. M. Nevin Smith. UC Press, 2006
- The New Book of Salvias. Betsy Clebsch. Timber Press, 2003
- Plants of the San Francisco Bay Area. Linda Beidleman and Eugene Kozloff. University of California Press, 2003
- Seed Propagation of Native California Plants. Dara E Emery. Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, 1988
- Wild Lilies, Irises and Grasses. Nora Harlow and Kristin Jakob. University of California Press, 2003